Monday, May 10, 2010

Part 78: Marzipan Central

Hello.

So for some unknown reason, I am in a really grumpy mood just now, so I am hoping that typing this blog will cheer me up... Yep. Jette is studying with Arvid so whatever, I'll just come over here now.
Today I went to Lubeck which is 45 minutes north-east of Hamburg, because of the trip to Hamburg however, it took me an hour and a half to get there, and some difficulty with non-english speaking assistance. It was good though because it meant I had to work it out all on my own and I did. Win. Last night I spent sometime researching the town and things to see and do there which also gave me reading matirial for the trip to get me pumped up and ready to get out there and see the world...well, Lubeck which isn't much of the world, but its got some good history going on.

When I first got in to Lubeck I ponderede around with my dodgy map I printed last night trying to find the Holsentor which is a really old gate which was originally started in the 1400's. Obviously, its nothing like what it was back then now, but still its kinda cool that its the same gate, just modified a little bit over time. I took some photos and enjoyed the crappy weather (at least it wasn't raining) and then made my way (by fluke) to an information centre which also had a squished penny machine. I got a map from the IC which was 90cents but contained a touristic route of the town and some information about the different things I would see, so I thought it was pretty worth it.

So basically my day was spent looking around at all the different touristy sites and trying to learn as much about them as I could. Thankfully, a lot of the time the signs were translated into English, unfortunately I do feel like I missed some of the more meaningful stuff because of my lack of German. Some of the highlights were: The top of Saint Peters Cathedral, which gave me a wicked view over Lubeck and also helped me get an idea of the orientation of the town. I also really enjoyed some of the side streets which werent actually on the route I was supposed to be taking, but they were so typical and quite pretty all the same. Also, the Niederegger cafe, famous for its Marizpan, the best in the world so it claims was a nice little spot to hang out too. The whole cafe was decked out to be like really old fashioned and all the staff wore maid outfits and stuff, and it was so nice feeling. I felt underdressed for it though, which is ridiculous feeling under dressed for a coffee! Anyway, it was cool. Also, opposite that was this really cool market medieval syle or whatever, where everyone was dressed up reaaaaaaally old fashioned selling things. You could also see the tradespeople at work for example there were blacksmith with their hammers and stuff and this cool glass guy who would manipulate glass and make really intricate sculptures.

I think the bit that stands out to me the most, not necessarily the best thing, but the most powerful thing was in the Saint Marien cathedral (which, by the way, s the biggest brickstone church in the world!) where in 1942 a bombing raid came and destroyed the area and two bells fell from roof and smashed on the ground and damaging the whole area. The church never moved the bells ever and now they sit there to remind people of the horrors of war. I think its so simple but so sad seeing just two smashed up bells with all the concrete on the ground smashed as well but its so effective and its just incredible to think that they haven't moved since a raid in 1942. It was... I dont know.
I think I've decided, all that said, this area of German architecture isn't the most attractive. I mean, some of it looks amazing and nice however none of it is particularly pretty, in my opinon apart from the occasional street or house. Its much to brick orientated for my liking and its all the same orange brick which I am not too keen on. Still, it was a great little day out and I learnt a lot. Lubeck is really interesting and highly recommended for anyone who has any interest in history because it has a lot of it. Some records show Lubeck being settled in just after the latest Ice Age (so a loooooong time ago) and since then has been the host to some incredible things such as being one of the original trading centers of Germany, creating gates and moats to prevent neighbouring towns from attacking, Slavery, Castles, Marzipan, War its phenomenal actually.

Anyway, I eventually left at around 5.10 and made my way back to Hamburg, got home and talked to Jette for a little bit, but then she was busy so I did nothing until tea time where I set the table. Then Jette, Jettes mum, Arvid and I talked around the table but I was in such a bad mood that I just sat quietly and tried to not get spoken to.

Dunno. Go figure.

So I added some photos to the blog for interest but there is an album with more of the photos I took today (I thinkg thers 48 of the 138 I took) on facebook. You can check them out logged in or not at this link here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=230498&id=667554767&l=2727896310

I didn't write something about ALL the pictures on Facebook because I am lazy but I hope you can at least get a feel for Lubecks look. Enjoy! Now, the 1st picture is the Holsentor gate, the second is a view from St. Peters and the third is the bells. Yep.
Kcoolbye

No comments:

Post a Comment