Thursday, August 26, 2010

Part 162: Isle Of Cumbrae

Hey, didn't see you there!

Ha, I joke, of course I saw you! I see
all. Epic.

Anyway, today was exhausting. Mainly because I am ridiculously unfit... Tragic really. So Lois and I woke up at 9.30 unsure as to what we would do for the day. I google'd a bit getting ideas before stumbling upon the Isle of Cumbrae: an Island not too far away for a fay trip but far enough away to feel like somewhere new! Perfect!


Our goal was to be there by 1.30. It meant we had to leave for Glasgow by 11.15 but unfortunately there was no bread so we had to buy breakfast for the supermarket causing us to miss our train...again! What the?! Missing this train meant that the next train to Largs (where we had to catch the ferry to the island from) wasnt until 12.45 which means we wouldnt get in until 1.45ish. The train trip was beautiful with gorgeous sea-side views. Good choice, Doug.


When we arrived in Largs we were shocked by the stunning weather and the beauty of this little sea-side town. We made our way to the port, bought our ticket and then we caught the ferry to the island. It was such a cool little place! So scenic. Its hard to explain this place because its just a lot of water and islands all around it with lush greenery and beautiful beaches and rocks and everything. Wow. It was pretty. We caught a bus to the village on the island which is called Millport. Millport itself was a cute little place with quirky shops all around and people playing on the beaches and many bikes. I should have mentioned that Cumbrae is known for its biking. Its a popular place to ride around on and really see the entire island. Lois and I decided to follow in suit and hired a -get this- tandem bike! How romantic... Lol.

With no experience on a tandem bike personally I was a bit concerned but with practice we really got the hang of it which was awesome! We ended up riding around the entire island in a few hours with a few stops along the way. It was literally and scenically breath-taking. I loved being at the back of the bike because I didnt have to steer or do anything so I just had the camera in my hands and was being stupid at the back of the bike haha. It was great. Theres not really much I can explain though, I mean, we tandemed around the island, what more can I add? It was good fun and we saw an eagle! Woo!

When we finished the tour de Cumbrae we were tired so we returned the bike, bought an ice cream each then caught the ferry back to Largs. We had a bit of a ponder around the town whilst waiting for the next train. Then made our way back to Netherlee where we have since organised our trip to Edinburgh tomorrow and relaxed, both very tired.
It was a nice day and good to go somewhere new!

sorry the photo isn't very good, all the good ones are on Lois camera and I cant get her memory card to fit into my computer!

1 comment:

  1. As you know, we dutchmen bike a lot..... Go for it Lois!!!

    xx Annet

    ReplyDelete